A Blog Writer is one of the best things your business can do with a virtual assistant.
However, blog writing skills are as diverse as hiring someone that is in construction.
Do you need a handy man to repair your shed? Or do you need a construction crew to build your garage?
Blog writing is just as diverse. Before you start shopping for a Virtual Assistant Blog Writer, begin by understanding what your goals are. Here are some possible goals for a business blog.
- Provide news and industry information – people come back frequently to the blog.
- Get great search engine traffic for your keywords and generate leads.
- Lock down additional slots in search engines to control your brand identity better.
- Create buzz and linking to the blog with great link bait articles.
All four of these are good goals, and they can all happen to some extent, but it is a lot of work to do these things well. For example, if you want good keyword written blog posts, you need to do research, measure the results you get and maybe do minor rewrites over time to improve performance.
Writing good link bait articles could take days of research and writing. You would not expect a cheap blog writer to be able to produce that kind of article.
What are your Blog Writing Goals?
To get the most out of hiring a virtual assistant that is a blog copywriter, you need to understand what the goals are and craft your interview questions accordingly. Here are some sample questions.
- What tools have you use to do keyword research before writing a blog post?
- What is your strategy for writing headlines and explain why?
- Show some examples of link bait articles you have written. (You can then measure the number of links to that page to see how successful it is)
- Send me a link to a post you wrote that had target keywords and tell me what those keywords are.
- How do you handle writers block?
- How do you work? If I want 10 blog posts per month, how would you produce them?
These blog writer interview questions are going to eliminate 90% or more of the potential writer (unless they are trying to BS you) because most blog writers are not writing with a clear strategy and do not know how to do many of these things effectively. They see blog writing as just writing a few paragraphs to keep the blog current. That is fine if you are not expecting much out of the blog, but you can get better results with a blog writing strategy and serious writing with a trained professional.
Once you hire a good virtual assistant blog writer, be sure to pay them well and treat them very well. While there are lots of virtual assistants available, getting one that is a good blog copywriter that can produce great results is very special.