Recently I started back up business networking. You may find it odd that I ever stopped, and I did not completely. However, any of you out there that have done networking for years probably knows the feeling of wanting to take a break and stop going to events for a little while.
In my case, I focues on the web and cut way back on person to person.
So I had my break, I love my new product and I am back out getting to know people and rub shoulders again.
I kind of need a refresher on what the whole thing is for, so I thought I would write one for myself. Here are 10 business networking tips.
- Don’t schedule things too close together. You hate to cut conversations too short.
- Followup. Get the meeting.
- Listen more than you talk – like no one has heard that before.
- Be early, stay late – it is a lot easier to have detailed conversations during that time.
- Know what your target market looks like – spend more time with those people and less time with people that are clearly not in your target market.
- Don’t have a stain on your jacket. (Darn)
- Smile and look people in the eye
- Know who is going to be there in advance when possible. Arrange to meet key people before or after the event.
- Keep mints with you.
- Take enough business cards.
- Have fun
I know, really basic stuff. Well, I was writing this as a refresher for me, not as an innovative blog post for you.